Price: Rs 2174.53
Pub Date: FEB-09
Publish Status: In Stock
Copyright Year: 2010
|About the book|| |
Biology is a comprehensive introductory biology textbook for non-majors or mixed-majors courses that covers biology in a traditional order from the structure and function of the cell to the organization of the biosphere. The book, which centers on the evolution and diversity of organisms, is appropriate for a one- or two-semester course.
It's no wonder that Sylvia Mader's Biology continues to be a text that's appreciated as much by instructors as it is by the students who use it. The ninth edition is the epitome of Mader's expertise: Its concise, precise writing uses an economy of words to present the material as succinctly and clearly as possible, thereby enabling students -- even non-majors -- to understand the concepts without necessarily asking the instructor to explain further.
|Key features|| |
THE MADER AUTHOR STORY? Sylvia Mader is the subject matter expert and learning system architect in one. Dr. Mader represents the student by paging the book and striking the proper balance of art, photo, text, and application.
? Sylvia has taught millions of non-majors students the language of biology.
? Her teaching experience at Mass Bay CC is what led Sylvia to making the time to design her text layout specifically to the non-majors market.
THE HALLMARK ART PROGRAM-The highly acclaimed artwork in Biology 10e has become the hallmark of this flagship text. The creative paging process retains the functional page spreads but enhances the role of art and photos in creating the most effective and appealing pages possible.
KEY PEDAGOGICAL TOOLS-Connecting the Concepts boxes appear at the end of most chapters and establish connections between the concepts of the chapter and other concepts throughout the book.
Bioethical Issue topics end many chapters and present both side of contemporary issues such as the use of alternative medicines available over the counter.
Brief "Focus" boxes covering Science, Health, and Ecology present relevant applications issues to students.
Phonetic pronunciations have been added to the Glossary.
KEY CONTENT UPDATES -These are based on reviewer suggestions and biological discoveries:
Overview of Change to Biology, Tenth Edition
The brilliant visual program of the previous edition is enhanced even more by the addition many new micrographs and innovative page layouts.
Cell signaling receives expanded coverage as a mechanism of cellular metabolism and cell division control.
Reorganization of the genetics chapters results in increased genome coverage including the role of small RNA molecules in regulation
Cladistics is better explained and new evolutionary trees are presented for protists, plants, and animals.
A new chapter "Speciation and Microevolution" points to the possible role of Hox genes in punctuated evolution.
A reorganization of chapter 23 better describes the evolution of plants from an aquatic green algal ancestor.
Reorganization of part VI results in two new animal diversity chapters: the invertebrates and the vertebrates.
Approximately 70 animations of key biological processes accompany Biology 10e. Approximately 50 of these animations are available in a Spanish version.
McGraw-Hill's Biology Digitized Video Clips DVD. Licensed from some of the highest-quality science video producers in the world, these brief segments range from 15 seconds to two minutes in length and cover all areas of general biology from cells to ecosystems.
All text, artwork, and photos necessary to understand a particular concept (e.g., prokaryotic vs. eukaryotic replication) appear either on the same page or facing pages.
Outstanding media study tools for students.
Connect is a complete, online tutorial, electronic homework, and course management system designed for greater ease of use than any other system available. The program enables students to complete their homework online, as assigned by their instructor. Connect allows instructors to automatically grade and report easy-to-assign homework and quizzing, build their own assignments, track student progress, and share course materials with colleagues. Connect also provides instructors with the ability to create or edit questions from the question bank, or important their own content. The fully integrated grade book can be downloaded to Excel, WebCT, or Blackboard.
The Companion Website
The companion website contains the following resources for instructors:
- Presentation Tools? This easy-to-use table of assets includes enhanced image PowerPoints, (including editable art, tables, and photos), lecture PowerPoints with animations, animation PowerPoints, as well as labeled and unlabeled JPEG images.
- Presentation Center ? This online digital library contains photos, artwork, animations, and other media types that can be used to create customized lectures, visually enhanced tests and quizzes, compelling course websites, or attractive printed support materials. All assets are copyrighted by McGraw-Hill Higher Education, but can be used by instructors for classroom purposes. The visual resources in this collection include:
- ArtFull-color digital files of all illustrations in the book can be readily incorporated into lecture presentations, exams, or custom-made classroom materials. In addition, all files are pre-inserted into PowerPoint slides for ease of lecture preparation.
- Photos The photos collection contains digital files of photographs from the text, which can be reproduced for multiple classroom uses.
- Tables Every table that appears in the text has been saved in electronic form.
- Animations Numerous full-color animations illustrating important processes are also provided. Harness the visual impact of concepts in motion by importing these files into classroom presentations or online course materials.
- Instructor?s Manual ? The instructor?s manuals contains chapter outlines, lecture enrichment ideas, and critical thinking questions.
- Computerized Test Bank ? A comprehensive bank of test questions is provided within a computerized test bank powered by McGraw-Hill?s flexible electronic testing program EZ Test Online. EZ Test Online allows you to create paper and online tests or quizzes in this easy to use program! A new tagging scheme allows you to sort questions by difficulty level, topic, and section. Imagine being able to create and access your test or quiz anywhere, at any time, without installing the testing software. Now, with EZ Test Online, instructors can select questions from multiple McGraw-Hill test banks or author their own, and then either print the test for paper distribution or give it online.
Online Test Management
- Author/edit questions online using the 14 different question type templates
- Create question pools to offer multiple versions online? great for practice
- Export your tests for use in WebCT, Blackboard, PageOut, and Apple?s iQuiz
- Sharing tests with colleagues, adjuncts, TAs is easy
Online Scoring and Reporting
- Set availability dates and time limits for your quiz or test
- Assign points by question or question type with dropdown menu
- Provide immediate feedback to students or delay feedback until all finish the test
- Create practice tests online to enable student mastery
- Your roster can be uploaded to enable student self- registration.
Support and Help
- Automated scoring for most of EZ Test?s numerous question types
- Allows manual scoring for essay and other open-response questions
- Manual rescoring and feedback are also available
- EZ Test?s grade book is designed to easily export to your grade book
- View basic statistical reports
Go to www.mhhe.com/maderessentials2e to learn more.
- Flash tutorials for getting started on the support site
Support Website: www.mhhe.com/eztest
- Product specialist available at 1-800-331-5094
- Online Training:
Full-Color Customization -- Professors have the option of creating a customized version of the text by selecting only the chapters they cover in lecture, providing students with significant savings in book costs. Customization can occur in two ways: -- Chapter-by-chapter color customized printed book or a full-color Primis eBook.
|Table of contents|| |
1 A View of Life
Part I THE CELL
2 Basic Chemistry
3 The Chemistry of Organic Molecules
4 Cell Structure and Function
5 Membrane Structure and Function
6 Metabolism: Energy and Enzymes
8 Cellular Respiration
Part II GENETIC BASIS OF LIFE
9 The Cell Cycle and Cellular Reproduction
10 Meiosis and Sexual Reproduction
11 Mendelian Patterns of Inheritance
12 Molecular Biology of the Gene
13 Regulation of Gene Activity
14 Biotechnology and Genomics
Part III EVOLUTION
15 Darwin and Evolution
16 How Populations Evolve
17 Speciation and Macroevolution
18 Origin and History of Life
19 Systematics and Phylogeny
Part IV MICROBIOLOGY and EVOLUTION
20 Viruses, Bacteria, and Archaea
21 Protist Evolution and Diversity
22 Fungi Evolution and Diversity
Part V PLANT EVOLUTION and BIOLOGY
23 Plant Evolution and Diversity
24 Flowering Plants: Structure and Organization
25 Flowering Plants: Nutrition and Organization
26 Flowering Plants: Control of Growth Responses
27 Flowering Plants: Reproduction
Part VI ANIMAL EVOLUTION and DIVERSITY
30 Human Evolution
Part VII COMPARATIVE ANIMAL BIOLOGY
31 Animal Organization and Homeostasis
32 Circulation and Cardiovascular Systems
33 Lymph Transport and Immunity
34 Digestive Systems and Nutrition
35 Respiratory Systems
36 Body Fluid Regulation and Excretory Systems
37 Neurons and Nervous Systems
38 Sense Organs
39 Locomotion and Support Systems
40 Hormones and Endocrine Systems
41 Reproductive Systems
42 Animal Development
Part VIII BEHAVIOR and ECOLOGY
43 Behavioral Ecology
44 Population Ecology
45 Community and Ecosystem Ecology
46 Major Ecosystems of the Biosphere
47 Conservation of Biodiversi