|About the book|
For an in-depth understanding of the problems of hardware maintenance of PC's,
this book has no rival either in the country or abroad.
From the Foreword to the book by Prof J R Isaac
Professor Emeritus, IIT-Bombay &
Retired Advisor, NIIT Ltd., New Delhi
This book is a time tested reference covering the architecture, hardware organisation, circuit design and maintenance of the IBM PC series and its clones. The design concepts and techniques discussed facilitate application of chip-level analysis in the troubleshooting of any common PC.
This thoroughly revised second edition encapsulates the rapid changes in technology, architecture, engineering and built-in capabilities of the personal computer.
The book is highly recommended for universities, research laboratories, libraries, faculty, students, and educational, training and service centers as well as for the ever-growing electronic hobbyists and entrepreneurs.
The author, Mr Govindarajalu is a successful technocrat with over 30 years of experience in the computer industry covering R&D, manufacturing, maintenance, teaching, technical support and training.
Video on PC Assembling: Step-by-step procedure of assembling a PC (supplement to Chapter 13), followed by a live demonstration; Anti-Virus software: Trial version of Vx2000 plus' - an antivirus package from K7 COMPUTING; About Microcode's certification course of PC Hardware Who was first!
1. Microcomputer System explains hardware organisation of the digital computer; overviews advanced techchniques including multiprogramming, virtual memory and cache memory.
2. Peripheral Devices gives concepts used in different peripheral devices of the PC.
3. PC Hardware Overview presents architecture of the original IBM PC and its followers.
4. Hardware Components and ICs presents an introduction to digital electronics and common ICs used in PC Circuits.
5. Microprocessors in PC describes microprocessors used in different versions of the PCs starting from the original IBM PC to today's Pentium 4.
6. Support Chips in the Motherboard deals with the dumb and intelligent support chips used with the microprocessors.
7. PC Bus and Motherboard explains the different bus types and the different functional sections in the motherboard nucleus.
8. Printer Controller describes the different modes of the parallel ports starting with the traditional centronics interface.
9. Floppy Disk Controller describes the floppy disk controllers and the interface of floppy disk drive and hard disk drive.
10. Hard Disk Controller Subsystem describes the disk controllers and the interfaces of floppy disk drive/hard disk drive
11. Display Adapter deals with the principle of operation and the functional sections of the CRT display controller.
12. Serial Interfaces describes the various scribal interfaces in the PC.
13. Installation and Preventive Maintenance deals with the essential aspects of system integration, installation and preventive maintenance of the PC.
14. Troubleshooting deals exclusively with the troubleshooting problems in PCs along with step-by-step troubleshooting guidelines, based on 8088-PC, the best platform to learn.
15. Introduction to Networking presents an overview of networking concepts.
16. RISC and Servers covers advanced personal computer topics: RISC and Servers.
|About the author|
Prof. B. Govindarajalu is presently Dean (Computer Studies) at Rajalakshmi Engineering College, Chennai. He is a B.E. in Electronics and Communication Engineering from Regional Engineering College, Trichirappali and M.Tech in Computer Science and Engineering from Bombay. Before joining Rajalakshmi Engineering College he worked with Manipal Engineering College; IIT Bombay; ORG Systems (Baroda); Infotech Ltd. (Chennai); and Microcode (Chennai).
He has over 37 years of experience in computer hardware and IT industry covering design and development, manufacturing, maintenance, technical support, teaching and training. He has developed a series of microprocessor-based products such as the IBM System 360 Compatible Data Communications Multiplexer, VDU System Console and Terminal Processing Unit/Concentrator.
After 15 years of industrial experience, he founded Microcode, an IT firm specializing in PC hardware and networking training and development of diagnostic tools much he trained nearly 10,000 engineers in PC maintenance. He has developed a series of certification tests on computer architecture, PC hardware and networking. He has also taught personal computer hardware and architecture as visiting professor at several institutions such as Rajalakshmi Engineering College, Crescent Engineering College, Jaya Engineering College, Vellore Institute of Technology and Sastha Institute of Technology. He has conducted career courses on computer networking for Rajalakshmi Engineering College, Velammal Engineering College, Kongu Engineering College, J J College of Engineering and SSN College of Engineering. He has been a specialist for a UNESCO project on curriculum development. He has also served as a member of the Board of Studies at PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore.
He has authored two computer books published by Tata McGraw Hill:
1. IBM PC and Clones: Hardware, Troubleshooting and Maintenance
2. Computer Architecture and Organization: Design Principles and Applications
He is working on a book titled Advanced Microprocessor Architectures. His interests include Tamil literature, spirituality and meditation.
Govindarajalu's future plans include launching a technical magazine catering to the needs of engineering students. He may be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Table of contents|
Part I: Basic Concepts and Architecture
Chapter 1. Microcomputer System
Chapter 2. Peripheral Devices
Chapter 3. PC Hardware Overview
Part II: PC Hardware Components
Chapter 4. Hardware Components and ICs
Chapter 5. Microprocessors in PC
Chapter 6. Support Chips in the Motherboard
Part III: Circuits and Subsystems
Chapter 7. PC Bus and Motherboard
Chapter 8. Printer Controller
Chapter 9. Floppy Disk Controller
Chapter 10. Hard Disk Controller Subsystem
Chapter 11. Display Adapter
Chapter 12. Serial Interfaces
Part IV: Maintenance and Troubleshooting
Chapter 13. Installation and Preventive Maintenance
Chapter 14. Troubleshooting
Part V: Special Systems
Chapter 15. Introduction to Networking
Chapter 16. RISC and Servers